Sunday, January 18, 2009

Skater Baby photo instructions on Brim

Here are some photo instructions on making the brim of the Skater Baby hat

I cut a 6 inch strip of plastic canvas. I created a curve that made the entire piece 1 - 1.25 inches wide.
Next I wrapped it in duct-tape. This helps prevent snags while inserting, makes it harder to see through the stitches and also provides a bit more stability so you can bend it.
Fold the knit fabric so the Cast on edge (CO) is on top. Insert your needle through the first stitch on the CO round and the first stitch on the round on the needles.

Knit like you would a regular stitch
And pull through both stitches.

Eventually you will add the brim. the wrapped plastic canvas is bendable, use this to your advantage when trying to work around the stitches. Don't get too frustrated if it's tight and difficult. it will get easier and you can push the brim through more of the hat if needed. Push it out of your way, into the closed casing.




6 comments:

Joya said...

This looks so good! I've been wanting to add a brim to my hats for ages. Thanks for the great photo tutorial. I'm doing your pattern next hat I CO!!
Thanks so much!
Joya

DaneMum said...

Great tutorial! The next project to start will be your hat! I have a 13 months old daugther she'll look so cute in the hat

My Little Room In The Corner said...

That is just the cutest hat ever! Gotta make one for the new boy on the block! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful pattern. It was so nice of you to make it free Thank you, thank you.
-GrammaTo7

Anonymous said...

This hat is exactly what i was looking for. I hope I can make it, I'm very new to knitting.. How much yarn did you use for the hat?

@ColoradoMom said...

I used one ball of the mission falls for the toddler size. roughly 85 yards.